Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Un-'Do!

Posted Nov 2, 2008 1:23pm

OK, today is the day. As Dave rolled over toward my pillow to kiss me good morning, I tried to warn him, but it was too late – he rolled right into a fluff of hair I had shed through the night when my protective cap slipped off. We both said, “EEEEuuuuuuwwww!!!” and he made a lot of “pffffth…” noises trying to blow the strands off his lips. It was gross. I knew if I didn’t do something about this soon, we’d both be coughing up hairballs. With this nice muddy weather, he was off for a dirtbike ride after breakfast, and I went in for what I thought would be the final cut. After trimming what was left to about 2”, it still kept falling and clinging to everything like spiderwebs. Enough already.

So many women have told me they just reached a point where they wanted to shave it all off, and I wondered what that feeling would be like. Now I know. It’s like a breakup – the fear of the unknown is so strong that you justify staying even though you know it's not right. Then one day you are so done you just want out, even if it means leaving everything behind. Cutting my hair in stages over the past few days has given me a certain sense of control, not over my hair loss, but in my choice in how much I was ready to participate in the process. At this stage, I’m OK with shaving it. I took out my electric shaver and started at the front of my head, but it’s not really designed for this heavy duty task, and it was leaving odd zig-zag trails. Good grief. I look like a gang member. I gave up on that project and left a message for my hairstylist friend that offered to do this a few months ago. I hope this is not the week she is out of town.

In the meantime, I have errands to run, so today is my red scarf day. I had gone grocery shopping yesterday, and while everyone else was dealing with umbrellas and hoods, I had my green scarf to keep me dry. When I was checking out, a woman waved to me from the next register and said, “I love your scarf!” I could be starting a new trend in Folsom! Here’s the up side – I can blow dry my fuzz in 30 seconds instead of 10 minutes. I don’t need color, conditioner, mousse or hairspray, and I save at least another 10 minutes because the hot rollers just won’t fit.



There’s a break in the weather, and while the sun is shining I’m going to hit the road. Enjoy your Sunday!
Love, Laurie