Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Visit to the Plastic Surgeon

Posted Jun 28, 2008 9:28am
The pre-dawn moments have become a special healing time to focus on all the “sparkles” we are exchanging – your love, prayers, thoughts, spells, chants, angels, blessings – whatever way you have chosen to send me, I return a hundredfold. Soon after getting up I turn on the computer that is set up at the kitchen table for the morning. From this post I can drink in our magnificent garden and a concert of manic birdsongs while I write updates, read your messages and respond to each one as soon as I can.

This morning I clicked on the “prayer circle” link at the Carepages home page, where you can click on a photo to read a couple of lines about the person’s request. I invite you to take a just a few moments to visit whenever you can, to click on a photo (or a few) and light a candle of support. There are over 3 million members and over 6 million visitors – imagine what all that combined sparkle could accomplish! [Note - this feature was later deleted.]

We had a second medical consult Friday afternoon – with the plastic surgeon, Dr. Lynne Hackert at the Plastic Surg. Center on Scripps Drive. Although they were expecting me, some of the ladies at the front desk looked slightly surprised, if you get my drift… The all-female staff appears to take full advantage of their job perks. Everything around there is pretty “perky,” enhanced by a collective unconscious need for 4” wedgy-platform-anklewrap-tie footwear. And not a frown line or crow’s foot within 100 yards of the place. Call me a material girl - it was a reassuring display of medical expertise.

Dr. Lynne seems impervious to all of it. She has a natural grace without a drop of makeup, and reminds me of Meryl Streep in that movie where she was always ready to attack the rapids. She welcomed us to her lovely office overlooking the Koi and turtle pond, and soon covered the desk with her implant collection. I thought it very clever that she placed the 800cc (about a double-D) closest to Dave, and invited us to feel the various materials.

So much for a second set of ears. Dave’s eyes glazed over as he used his engineering expertise to assess (fondle) each sample for construction stability. I know he was especially concerned about the largest sizes, since he kept rechecking them intently. Dr. Lynne winked at me and said, “That’s how we keep them quiet so we can talk.”

I don’t think he heard that – or anything else she said from that point on.

We were pretty emotionally wiped out by the time we got home yesterday afternoon. I made a big pot of organic veggie and chicken soup, and we vegetated (organically, of course) with an adventure film for the rest of the evening. We love both of these new docs, and have a better idea of the range of possibilities that lie ahead. It could be about a year of surgeries and treatments, some down-times longer than others, but it will certainly teach me to run my life and business in a way that I engage the help of others, and don’t have to go years without taking any vacation time.

Here’s an email I received from my friend Helene: The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free (pink window in the middle). This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors /advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising. Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know. http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

No comments: